Elstree Studios Stages 7, 8 and 9 to be Demolished After RAAC Found

Stages 7, 8 and 9 at Elstree Studios, used for numerous productions including Indiana Jones and Star Wars, are set to be demolished after the discovery of RAAC (reinforced autoclaved aerated concrete), which follows the asbestos found in the same studios last year.

Stage 7 was used to film numerous scenes in the original Star Wars trilogy including the Lar’s homestead kitchen, Obi-Wan’s cave, various scenes from Jabba’s Palace and many more. Stages 8 and 9 were also used for many scenes too.

Elstree Studios shut its stages 7, 8 and 9 after workers discovered asbestos during a routine inspection in 2022.

When remediation works began, the roof was found to contain Raac – the “bubbly” reinforced autoclaved aerated concrete that can collapse and was discovered in around 174 schools across the country.

But in an announcement on Wednesday, October 4, the authority has revealed it will pull down stages 7, 8 and 9, which were built in the 1960s.

Hertsmere Borough Council will rebuild them and put forward a “package of ongoing support” to its company.

Councillor Jeremy Newmark (Lab, Borehamwood Cowley Hill), council leader and Elstree Studios chair, said in a statement: “Elstree Studios continues to thrive and the award-winning Platinum Stages, which opened last year, clearly show that we’re committed to continued investment in this valuable asset for our borough and our residents.

“Whilst the financial outlay to the council will be significant, this initiative is key to ensuring the site remains competitive and aligned with emerging trends in the film and television industry.

“Elstree Studios also contributes to our revenue budget, which benefits residents across the borough.

“We acknowledge that the building works following the discovery of asbestos and subsequent issues with Raac have had an impact on the studio’s clients.

“We are doing all we can to mitigate those impacts.”

The council made its decision and agreed the funding behind closed doors at a meeting on Wednesday, September 20, because the debate contained “commercially sensitive” information.

Hertsmere Borough Council originally estimated works at Elstree Studios would fall in the region of £150-200million – to replace “life-expired buildings” and infrastructure.

Demolition is now the “most viable” option, the authority has said.

Cllr Morris Bright (Con, Elstree) was chair of Elstree Studios until August this year and leader of the council between 2007 and May this year.

He told the Local Democracy Reporting Service: “As former chairman and a current director, it has become clear in recent months that the options of refurbishing the existing stages are untenable as we seek to deliver a 21st-century carbon-neutral studios.”

Productions shot in stages 7, 8 and 9 include Pointless, The Chase and the feature film Paddington.

The Raac and asbestos used to construct these 1960s buildings are now considered dangerous.

Other stages, including the George Lucas Stages where Strictly Come Dancing is filmed, are safe and unaffected.

The three stages have more recently been used for Pointless, The Chase and the feature film Paddington, and the good news is that they will be rebuilt.

SOURCEWatfordObserver.co.uk
James Burns
James is an active member of the Star Wars collecting community, and is the Brand Director for Jedi News. James is also the host of the Star Wars Collectors Cast, and co-host of RADIO 1138 on the Jedi News Network.